Monday, January 13, 2014

Reacquainted

Since the end of October I have done one thing and that is work.  I am thankful for my job and sometimes we have to do what is needed.  But zero day's off for 60 days, including weekends was a little much.  I don't mind the work so much but it takes away my time to do what I enjoy.  During this time, I didn't fish, tie flies, wrap a rod..nothing.  Heck I barely saw my wife.  Well today I got an opportunity to get reacquainted.  No, not with my wife!  I got reacquainted with one of our intimate Ozark streams.
  
This January day happened to be a day that saw the temperatures in the upper 60's.  This was a bonus but it did not matter as I was going to hit the water regardless.
With working as much as I had, my mind has been very occupied with the work environment.  After pulling on the waders and beginning the walk in, I started to hear flowing water.  I then realized how much I missed this sound and my mind and body began to relax and get back to a normal state.  There are few problems that can't be solved by visiting beautiful places with flowing water. 
I fished very slow today and took my time fishing each stretch of water.  I probably overfished a few places knowing that I would not hook anymore fish but I was in no hurry and the water flowing around my legs was the exact therapy that I needed.
 
The recent snow and rain had this Ozark stream in perfect shape today.  The rainbows were holding in the fast water and every run that pushed some fast water into an undercut, produced a fish or two.  Most were not large, but feisty as always.  A few BWO's were coming off but it was not the right type of day to create a hatch large enough to get the fish focused on them.  I nymphed most of the day but I did throw a few BWO's in order to try out a new furled leader from Ben at Arizona Wanderings. I will do a review later this week on these leaders.  
This spring like day in the middle of winter was a gift.  I never saw another sole and while sitting on a log eating a great lunch of peanut butter crackers, I was serenaded by a small covey of quail.  Here in Missouri, this is a rare sound. 
Did we get reacquainted?  Oh yeah.  She is still unforgiving on an errant back cast, the rainbows are still as spooky as ever and never give you a second chance, the same water I have fished countless times is still teaching me new things, and this Ozark stream is as great a treasure as ever.   
I am looking forward to 2014.  I need to get 14 months fishing in the next 12 months to make up for lost time doing something that means so much to me.  
Lets have a great 2014!       
    
 

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great little get-away Lynn! That creek is one of my favorites for doing just what you accomplished...a relaxing day on the water.
    If you're ever looking for someone to float some of the Ozarks rivers with in your new boat don't hesitate to give me a shout. I've got a pontoon and shuttles are always much easier with two guys.
    Here's to a 2014 filled with many quality days on the water....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That creek looks like a Cabelas catalog cover! Stunning! Glad you were able to get out on the water and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice little stream, I think I've fished it often if it's the place I think it is. Glad you got out 60 in January is hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always great photos man! May I ask, what camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the photos that I take are with a Canon D10. This is an older model waterproof camera and has since been updated, but mine works great. On occasion, some of the photos are from Canon T4I DSLR....if there is water around you can pretty much be assured it is the D10. Lynn

      Delete