Sunday, November 24, 2013

Book Review - 50 Best Tailwaters to Fly Fish

I recently got my hands on a  copy of  the newly published book by Stonefly Press, 50 Best Tailwaters to Fly Fish. 
 
As far as I know, this is the first book to look at the very best tailwater fisheries across the US and Canada. The authors are Terry and Wendy Gunn, fly fishing icons, and owner/operators of Lees Ferry Anglers on the Colorado River below Glen Canyon Dam.
Of course I immediately opened the book to the tailwaters here in the Ozarks.  I have fished these tailwaters extensively for many years and would be able to quickly tell if the book was going to add value to others interested in fishing this area. 
I immediately noticed references to familiar names associated with our local tailwaters. Not only familiar names but they narrowed it down to the few individuals that I would consider local experts and people whose opinion I respect.  This was a good start and obvious they had done their homework on where to get quality input for each tailwater.
I then started reading the sections on the local Ozark tailwaters in depth.  Each and every section was very well written and better yet, they are spot on with the most important information of local hatches and fly recommendations.  The photos are awesome and the detailed maps that go with each tailwater are extremely helpful.  Anytime you visit a new region, I would consider a map, hatches and flies to be the 3 most important factors to get your trip started.  In addition, I believe I learned a couple of things about my local tailwaters. 
For fly fisherman not from the Ozarks, there is everything in the specific tailwater section that you would need to plan your trip.  Included are references to local guides, restaurants, and lodging.  
After reading the local tailwater chapters, I then began exploring the remainder of the book. The book is divided by region and you can easily find information about an area that you may be planning to visit.  Initially I scanned a few regions but then found myself reading each section in depth.  Most of these I may never visit, but there are a few of these at the top of my list.  As I continue reading, I am finding my list growing of places I need to visit.  If I get the chance to plan a trip to these areas, I would consider this book the foundation for planning my trip.  The key parts of any trip are included in these sections and based on the quality and accuracy of the tailwaters I am familiar with, I will definitely use this book to plan any trip.  
I had a gentleman from Minnesota contact me yesterday about visiting the Ozark region to fly fish.  I simple sent him the link for this book.  For his first trip to the Ozarks, I can't do any better than the information in this book.  
Great job Robert Clouse, Terry and Wendy Gunn, and Stonefly Press! Thank you.   
For anyone interested in purchasing a copy or dropping a hint of a great book for Christmas, visit  Stonefly Press to purchase a copy of the 50 Best Tailwaters to Fly Fish.  
After writing this review, I noticed a couple other bloggers had also provided reviews of this book.  I think you will find a consistent theme that everyone is very pleased with the quality of this book.



50 Best Tailwaters to Fly Fish from Kitchen Sink Studios ®, INC. on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. Lynn, we pretty much handled reading the book the same way. I first checked the accuracy of the waters that I am familiar with then started checking out places I want to go and then the rest. My bucket list now consists of 56 great looking tailwaters! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn! Nice review! Look forward to getting a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, thanks for taking the time to give this book a hard look and a great review.

    ReplyDelete